Monday, August 17, 2009

The Wildlife is Getting Wilder

Yesterday morning, Tom Kitten & I were lounging in bed, generally enjoying each other's company, when I heard a "distressed bird" sound coming from the kitchen/ living room area. Thinking"Oh crap, I don't want to have to go save some poor near-dead bird from whichever cat has lovingly brought it to me as a 'gift'..." I got up and went into the kitchen. Here I saw one cat sitting at the front door, which was open, staring up at a hummingbird that was desperately trying to get out. The cat looked at me as though he was thinking "Oh. Good. You're here, you can help me- knock that thing down here where I can reach it." Tom immediately ran over, glad that he'd been made aware of the situation before it got out of hand & soon enough I had an audience of about 3 kitties at my feet wondering why all I was doing was taking pictures of the thing! I opened the door & it flew off- seemingly uninjured. The cats didn't forgive me until their lack of short-term memory erased the event from their minds.

Now, the really weird thing is that the humming bird isn't the first small flying critter to end up in my house just this week. A couple of nights ago, Brian & I were watching TV when a huge shadow crossed over his head- at first we thought it was a giant moth. Quickly, we assertained that actually, it was a bat! We both jumped up to get a better look- and shoo it out- and in my excitement, I knocked over the glass of wine I was drinking- sending it acraoss the room to break into a million pieces. Cleaned that mess up, and the bat was still flying around & around in circles- not running into anything, but not getting out either! Our cat Blue actually had the thing for a second, but with the commotion of the glass getting kicked over, he let it go. It took a little while, but eventually Brian coaxed it out of the house with a pillow. I did manage to shoot this video & although its a bit grainy, I think it captures the feeling of the moment...Please note how close its coming to my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment