Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Highlights From Folly!

My aunt Casey and uncle Bob have (fairly) recently adopted a Chinese baby girl named Jen. We're pretty sure this was Jen's first look at the ocean and she had a great time! It was so much fun watching her run around on the beach playing with my cousin Jaimie's little boy, Carson! However, as much as Jen liked the ocean, she may have liked baby Jack even better (if I do say so myself!) Bob told me that while they were running an errand, Jen woke up in the car & started demanding the "Me-aby!!" (she has a little trouble with 'b;s') and got real mad when they tried to explain that they didn't have the baby. Apparently, this was unacceptable.


I didn't get any pictures of Jack having fun in the water. Mostly because it happened twice & was over as quickly as it started! I'd take him down to the veeerrry edge of the water to play in the sand-which he loved- and then a little water would splash him & he'd get all excited & start crawling towards the ocean. Well, we'd repeat this until the "waves" were big enough to splash over his legs & then it was sheer panic time! Carrying him out in our arms didn't cut it either- as soon as Brian or I would get past ankle deep, Jack would start climbing us! He did enjoy a couple of beach naps though. In the safety of his stroller.

This is a good representation of Jack & Carson's relationship throughout the week. Jack was totally engrossed with doing whatever Carson was (except for getting in the water). I think this is a great sign for the future. I'm sure they won't get into any trouble together. Ever.

I think maybe my favorite part of the trip was getting taken out to the Morris Island lighthouse on our friend's boat. Lisa- the boat owner- was telling us that it takes a good 3-4 trip out there with someone who knows where they're going before you can do it by yourself. The water is really shallow in a lot of places & there are a lot of twists & turns to make between the little islands. One of the coolest things about Folly Beach is that there's almost always dolphins out if you look hard enough. Our Morris Island Cruise was no exception!



Cool huh?

So, then on to the lighthouse. This lighthouse used to have it's very own island, complete with houses, cars, livestock & a ferry that went back and forth. Now most of the island is underwater. For all the years I've been going to Folly with my family my Dad & I have made at least one trip to the end of the island & looked at the lighthouse & plotted how to get to it. Finally made it! (What will the next goal be? A whole day with out having to leave the cottage at all?) In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have walked the whole way to the lighthouse on my newly-liberated ankle, but at the time I didn't even think about it! oh well.

By Day 5 Brian was pretty worn out. We all were. He and I rallied though & went out into the Folly River with some borrowed "sea" kayaks and played around for about an hour. The picture's foggy because I had the camera in the cooler & it was so hot when I took it out to take the picture the lens wouldn't unfog.









There was lots of Bocce Ball played this trip. I'd never played before. I think it's my new favorite sport! (Did you know that "bocce" is the italian word for "ball"?)
You can look at all the pictures from the trip on my Picasa Web Album!



No comments:

Post a Comment